BY MELISSA RUGGIERI/AJC Music Scene
It’s not unusual for a veteran artist to earn enough respect for a tribute album.
But the Elton John-Bernie Taupin catalog is so vast and varied that it’s getting a pair of special releases – the pop-leaning “Revamp” and the country-focused “Restoration.”
The two albums celebrating their musical legacy will arrive April 6.
“Revamp” will offer songs including “Tiny Dancer,” “Bennie and the Jets” and “I Guess That’s Why They Call it The Blues” with artists such as Lady Gaga, The Killers, Queens of the Stone Age, Ed Sheeran and Mary J. Blige.
“Restoration” will highlight “Honky Cat,” “I Want Love,” “Take Me to the Pilot” and “Rocket Man” from a lineup boasting Little Big Town, Chris Stapleton, Willie Nelson, Kacey Musgraves and Dolly Parton.
Taupin created the album art for “Restoration,” which “symbolizes the role that U.S. culture and its native music has played as a driver in the John/Taupin canon.”
The art for “Revamp” is based on a Terry O’Neil photo of John that was re-created in neon.
In other John news, the occasional-Atlantan will be honored on April 10 with “Elton John: I’m Still Standing – A Grammy Salute.” The all-star concert corralled Miley Cyrus, Miranda Lambert, SZA, Chris Martin, John Legend, Lady Gaga, Sheeran and others a couple of days after the Grammy Awards in January to perform in John’s honor. The show will air at 9 p.m. on CBS.
John will play a pair of shows at Philips Arena as part of his farewell tour on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.
- Bennie and The Jets – Elton John, P!nk, Logic
- We All Fall In Love Sometimes – Coldplay
- I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues – Alessia Cara
- Candle In The Wind – Ed Sheeran
- Tiny Dancer – Florence And The Machine
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight – Mumford and Sons
- Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – Mary J. Blige
- Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Q Tip feat. Demi Lovato
- Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – The Killers
- Daniel – Sam Smith
- Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me – Miley Cyrus
- Your Song – Lady Gaga
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Queens of the Stone Age
- Rocket Man – Little Big Town
- Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – Maren Morris
- Sacrifice – Don Henley and Vince Gill
- Take Me To The Pilot – Brothers Osborne
- My Father’s Gun – Miranda Lambert
- I Want Love – Chris Stapleton
- Honky Cat – Lee Ann Womack
- Roy Rogers – Kacey Musgraves
- Please – Rhonda Vincent and Dolly Parton
- The Bitch Is Back – Miley Cyrus
- Sad Songs (Say So Much) – Dierks Bentley
- This Train Don’t Stop – Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris
- Border Song – Willie Nelson